Sunday, August 19, 2007

Market Day

Today was the first time in a long while that I went grocery/market shopping (not counting the times I was in the US scrounging for ingredients for the handful of dinners I prepared). The baby brother wanted bangus, the eagle wanted galunggong, I'm in a new eat-healthy phase - and so off to market I had to go.

First stop, semi-large supermarket that I've frequented since I was knee-high. The quaint thing about this place, aside from their regular fabulous selection of "sale" items (dried Chinese mushrooms for PhP80 instead of PhP150!), is that the cashiers still punch in the tag prices instead of scanning the bar codes. And, up until a couple of years ago, they still used those antiquated cash registers that went *kachaching, kachaching* as the item was punched. Funnily enough, they're much quicker than those scanner-supermarket deals.

Anyway, at that particular supermarket, I stocked up on a whole lot of tofu. I love tofu; but, aside from the tofu sisig that's been a hit for the catering business, I hardly know how to cook it. But I'll order it like crazy at Sushiya (Agedashi Tofu, Tofu Furai...yumm), Som's (Red Curry), or North Park/Next Door (Sauced Tofu) and be one happy camper.

I think that's my thing - the food I most love is the food I can't cook myself. Seafood is a prime example (next stop, save for a detour at the bookstore, Commonwealth Wet Market). I adore all kinds of seafood - crabs, squid, lobster, fish, oysters - but I can't cook it. That's my culinary Waterloo...and I'm rather grateful that I can actually be a consumer with respect to this kind of cuisine. I could eat paksiw na isda every single day of the year, or chili crab/special alimango ni Aling Tonyang. I cannot halabos a shrimp or ihaw a samaral. I make a mean ceviche, which is probably why I don't crave for it as much; but I will die for adobong/inihaw na pusit, ginataang kuhol, or Chinese steamed lapu-lapu, which I have no idea how to make (I actually do, but it's never quite turned out right). So I leave those to the experts, and just enjoy the end results.

Thus went my Sunday Market Day. I think I'm going to call in my trusty on-call cook to whip up the week's seafood menu, and perhaps cook a few dishes myself (that I won't be eating any time soon - you know how it is when kitchen familiarity breeds contempt). Maybe I'll find a tofu dish I can make and still manage to eat - who knows.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home