Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Cinema...

...one of my greatest loves. Real movies, great films, not just your run-of-the-mill silly commercial Hollywood flicks, although I must admit to indulging once in a while in them (the last one being an ala-Godfather flick I was inveigled into on a date, nice move dude...).

Haven't had time to see as many films as I've wanted, but these last couple of days I finally got off my ever-expanding butt and stuck some into the previously-neglected DVD player:

The Seventh Seal. Not to be confused with the Demi Moore-Michael Biehn apocalyptic Seventh Sign; this is the real deal by Ingmar Bergman. The "limitations" of black and white cinematography add real depth to the piece, and I'm not surprised it's become a true movie classic. Existentialism at its curious-est.

Speaking of black-and-white, a redux of one of my favorite Filipino films, Bayaning Third World, which I found serendipitously at a supermarket on original VCD for P100!! Laugh-out-loud, provocative filmmaking; I loved it even more than when I first caught its 1998 (?) premiere in the theatre. Pinoys are most fun when irreverent!! (Kakabakabakaba, Crying Ladies, and the like).

Finally, Soltnse, or The Sun, a highly intimate portrayal of Emperor Hirohito during the tail-end of World War II. Incredibly poignant, with a gamut of intensely metaphoric cinematographic devices. Interesting that it was a Russian-Italian production; evoked many parallelisms with the extremely compelling film The Downfall on the last days of Hitler, although Hirohito was a more sympathetic character who got to live a happier ending.

I love movies! Hope the next movie date won't be as violent though. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home